New This Quarter
Coming to May 2007 PREVIEWS... Stan Yan is illustrating SubCulture #3 & 4 for Ape Entertainment. Don't forget to pre-order! Diamond order numbers JUL07 3274 and SEP07 3346.
…and it’s still not too late to get SubCulture #1 & #2... Diamond order number MAR07 3139 and MAY07 3187.
Wonder World / Aline the Alien Flip Book by Lonnie Allen / T. Motley - A collection of interconnected stories from T. Motley and Lonnie Allen. In Motley's "Aline the Alien" we follow Aline and Kik as they break fourth walls and any other comic narrative restrictions that get in their way while having fun doing it, but you'll have as much fun reading it. Lonnie Allen's "Wonder World" follows a cast of characters as they travel through the looking glass of their reality. Mind-bending gags from two great creators for the price of one. 2007. 32 pg b&w mini-comic, color cover. General, $3.50 US.
Gypsy! Everything's Coming Up Rose by John Peters - A chronic case of brainfreeze can't stop gypsy from having a globe-spanning adventure. 128 page, monochrome brown 6" x 9" digest, square-bound color cover, General. $9.95 US,. ISBN 978-0-9755041-6-9. Pre-orders being taken today. Ships in October.
Owl Newman's Memorial Comic Package - 7 mini-comic book set includes In Memoriam Owl Newman (16 pg, b&w digest, general. T. Motley , Craig Gassen and Owl Newman), The Abstract Artist (8 pg, color mini, general. Owl Newman), Dotman Capers (49 pg, b&w digest, general. Owl Newman), Tales of the Whisperer (49 pg, b&w digest, general. Owl Newman), Owl's MAD Submission (20 pg, b&w digest, general. Owl Newman), Influences #3 (16 pg, b&w mini, general. Owl Newman, T. Motley , Craig Gassen , Lonnie Allen, Tim Winkelman, Stan Yan , Che Rippinger, Sonja Heglin, Malka Tannenbaum, and Karen Weis), and Rusty Clanking Spurs (25 pg, b&w, mini (prose), Owl Newman), ). 2007.
More information and the complete catalog go to www.squidworks.com/offerings.html
, and don’t forget to have your favorite comic retailer order from us on your behalf to save you shipping costs. Have them find out how at www.squidworks.com/dealer.html
. Reviews and News This Quarter
SubCulture #1 by Kevin Freeman & Stan Yan
by Ape Entertainment
• "There are some funny bits [...] which had me smiling throughout." ~Back to Sunnydale, 8/5/07
• "Yan’s cartooning is solid, similar to the work of Rich Koslowski with some especially good use of exaggeration and disciplined storytelling..." ~Nick Budd, Wednesday Number Ones, Comicpants.com, 6/27/07
• 4 out of 5 Inks ~Chris B., 215ink.com, 5/29/07
• "This little slice-of-life comedy is a wonderful addition to a fine [Ape] lineup. Subculture #1 is a really strong launch issue." 4 out of 5 ~Blake M. Petit, ComiXtreme.com, 5/26/07
• "Stan Yan's art is fun to look at with a professional cartoon-like style." ~Indie Jones, Ain’t It Cool News, 5/24/07
AND be sure to visit the website to hear SubCulture #1 featured in Fanboy Faceoff Podcast, Episode 3, and to read The San Diego Union Tribune’s special Comic-Con pullout featuring Stan Yan
and the Interview of John Peters
on Girlamatic.com’s Outspoken.
Read the complete reviews at www.squidworks.com/reviews.htmlUpcoming EventsSquid Works at NDK
- September 14-16th at the Marriott DTC, join the Squid Works at NDK 2007. The Squid Works will have two tables in Artist Row along with providing the following programming (tentative). Saturday: 2 pm 24 Hour Comics Challenge panel, 5 pm Improv Cartooning Challenge. Sunday: 10 am Breaking into Comics, 3 pm Creating Comics on the Computer.Stan Yan and John Peters at SPX
– October 12-13, Stan will be debuting SubCulture #3 and John will be debuting Gypsy! Everything’s Coming Up Rose.The Denver 4th Annual 24-Hour Comic Book Challenge
- October 20 - 21st at Enchanted Grounds! Yes! That's right! The 2007 edition of the grueling iron-cartoonist challenge has been scheduled for October 20th - 21st at Enchanted Grounds 8800 S. Colorado Blvd., Highlands Ranch, 80126, 303-470-1010. Specific times are to be determined. Stay tuned for more details! Please note, we are still looking for financial sponsors for this event to help us put together an anthology of completed stories from this event!MileHiCon 39
- Join Stan Yan
and Chris Salas among others participating as panelists at MileHiCon 39 on October 26 - 28th at the Hyatt Regency - Tech Center at 7800 E. Tufts Avenue in Denver. Stay tuned for more details.Stan Yan
– Saturday, October 27th, H.R. Meininger Co., will be hosting comic day. Stan Yan
will be presenting “Putting Together a Comic Story” from 11:30 am – 12:30 pm and will be involved in a panel from 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm.
More event information and updates can be found at www.squidworks.com/events.html New Free WebcomicsOpal – Sales Diva
by Stan Yan
& Scott Leland – A free, weekly webcomic poking fun at the world of sales, creatoed for New Moon E3O, Inc., featuring Opal, the sexy, snarky sales diva. (G – for everyone!)BetaPwned
by Tanya Higgins
- "…BetaPwned follows the daily life of Jeanine, her partner John, and her two children. […] There's no room in there for all the boobie grabbing, closet copping, F-bombing, chibi pornish, ejaculatory pondering, ball freezing fun!." (PG-13 for all the stuff mentioined )Socialmorality.com
by Meredith Ehmke
–"Ed, Bob, & Toby were created way back when I was in 9th grade. In photo class, listening to the teacher drone on about god knows what, I would stare -- sometimes at people, mostly at the wall -- and there I saw my inspiration, the outlet. Despite the many times I've accidentally stuck my finger in a live outlet, they became my friends. I could see their faces, and knew I must immortalize them...." (PG-13 for language and adult situations)Webcomics by T. Motley
– Includes web versions of Froggy’s Problem
(G), Comics from “Not My Small Diary”
(R), a pinup gallery (R), The Monkey’s Nightmare
(G), and The Gaiman Variations
- Lonnie Allen’s
ongoing contributions to the Strip Fight contest. (PG-13)
View these and other regularly-updating and archived webcomics at www.squidworks.com/online.html
. And, of course, don’t forget to let us know what you think by posting comments on our web forum via the “Forum” link or submitting your own review of our comics via the “Review” link. If we use your comments of shamelessly promote ourselves, you could win a free book!
Thanks again for supporting small press comics!